A huge thanks to everyone who has registered & supported Vancouver Youth Basketball. We are so excited about the great amount of young athletes we are able to serve!
In cooperation with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Southwest Washington, Vancouver Youth Basketball was formed to offer an improved option to students and parents for a basketball youth development program for boys and girls grades 1-6. The first session of the program begins with a basketball camp. In addition to providing an 8 game schedule in a league for youth teams in Vancouver, VYB will provide coaching clinics for volunteer coaches, and a skills competition for participating individual boys and girls on the last week of the program.
Bob Benson, former head coach at Skyview HS and Hudson’s Bay HS is our program director. Our instruction will be second to none.
About the League:Who: Open to boys & girls grades 1-6 When: 1st session: Oct. 21 – Jan 11
2nd session: Jan 21- March 29 Cost: $85 per player $65- current Boys & Girls Club members $30- free & reduced lunch students
Our basketball programs are separated by age group and gender to offer the most tailored experience for each grade level. Programs for younger grades are designed to build basic skills and break bad habits sooner than later to aid in the player’s development. Each program will start with a camp that emphasizes basketball skills and as the season begins, coaches are encouraged to keep their practices focused on the development of skills and inspire a love for the sport.
1st/2nd Grade: Our primary program focuses on basic skills. Teams play on 8’ hoops as a way to learn how to shoot the ball correctly.
3rd/4th Grade: Our intermediate program continues to teach basic skills. Teams play on 9’ hoops to develop proper shooting form. All games and practices are played on full length courts. Fourth grade boys have the option to “play up” with the 5th graders in a 4th/5th grade league that plays on 10’ hoops. Please discuss this option with Bob Benson.
5th/6th Grade: As the players develop and competition builds, these teams play on 10’ hoops with regulation high school rules. All games will be on Friday evenings. We take pride in keeping teams at a competitive level appropriate with their skill level. We have a “Club Level” league, and a highly competitive league comprised of teams that also play tournament basketball on the weekends. We are very flexible with the schedules.
- Buddy requests welcome
- Coach requests welcome
- Reduced fees available (send us an email for more information)
- All camps, games, and practices held at VSD facilities
- 1 Pre-Season Hoop Camp
- 1 practice each week (1.5 hours each)
- 8 games (Fridays or Saturdays)
- 1 Post-Season Skills Competition
- Volunteer Coaches may register their own teams — we will add players to meet the 10 player minimum
- Coaches Clinic provided to each Volunteer Coach
- One child of a volunteer coach may participate at no cost
Contacts for Questions Regarding:
Registration & Payment:
Administrative & Financial Assistant (BGCSW)
phone: (360) 448-7089
> Send Jordan an Email
Practice & Game Schedule:
Youth Basketball Coordinator
> Send Bob an Email
General Questions or Concerns:
Director of Operations (BGCSW)
phone: (360) 448-7089
> Send Erik an Email
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can I still register?
A. Yes! Register will remain open through November 2013
Q. How will I know if my registration is accepted?
A. We will send an e-mail confirmation to you. If you do not use e-mail, we will call to confirm registration.
Q. Where will practices be held?
A. Locations are determined once teams are formed.
- 1st-2nd grade practices will be held at the CGJ Boys & Girls Club in Hazel Dell or at various schools in the Vancouver School District. 1st-2nd grade games are always held at the CGJ Boys & Girls Club in Hazel Dell on Saturday mornings.
- 3rd-4th grade practices and games will be held at Vancouver School District elementary schools
- 5th-6th grade practices will be held at Vancouver School District elementary schools. 5th-6th grade games will be held at Jefferson Middle School or Lake Shore Elementary School.
Q. When will practices be held?
A. At the camp you will be able to request a preferred practice day.
Q. How often and at what times are practices?
A. Practices are held once a week for 1.5 hours, typically 6-7:30. Again, once teams are formed coaches will be contacting parents about practice day, time and location.1st-2nd graders benefit from slightly shorter practice sessions.
Q. Will there be practices/games during holday breaks?
A. No, teams will NOT practice or have games during holiday breaks.
Q. What does the cost include?
- A mesh reversible jersey with BGC logo.
- An opportunity to participate in our basketball camp the first session of the first week.
- Availability to participate in one evening team practice each week.
- An 8 game schedule played on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings.More games if you want!
- An opportunity to participate in our skills competition the last week of the session.
Our goal it to provide a high quality option as a youth development basketball program for boys and girls in first through sixth grade. We work to keep our fees low, so that all youth can afford to participate without compromising the quality of instruction, skill development, organization, or enthusiasm!
Coach Bob Benson is the BGC Youth Basketball Director. Coach Benson has 30 years of coaching experience, including a combined 18 years Varsity boys’ basketball at Hudson’s Bay and Skyview High Schools. Through this program, Coach Benson will train volunteer coaches via a coaching clinic in order to provide quality instruction to all players.Interested in coaching? We could use your help. Please print the following forms and return to one of our Club locations.
Full refunds are available through the first week of each session. After the first week, credit equal to the amount paid to be applied to future sessions.